Saturday, November 17, 2007

Tonka’s target audience: Adults living vicariously through their children…….And I’m ok with that.

One of the items that recently caught my eye on my latest trip to Sam Walton’s discount wonderland was a miniature replica of a toy truck I had when I was a child. I was immediately caught in the moment, and thought of the hours I spent in the sandbox shoveling dirt and making diesel engine noises with my mouth. I was so struck with nostalgia that I picked up the model and immediately rushed to the check out counter. $3.96 later (By the way, how does everything at WalMart cost $3.96?) I had my model and was ready to go back to the sandbox for the first time in a while.

Who was Tonka targeting with this item? I collect primarily farm toys, yet I was drawn to this truck because I relived a childhood memory. I would venture to guess that most 6 year olds that are looking for a 1/64th sandbox toy have little interest in the minute details that us collectors live for. They are looking for a truck to move dirt, we are looking for an exact replica of a real machine. The catch is that this isn’t a replica of a real machine, but a replica, of a replica of a real machine that is essentially “cartoon-ized” for the sake of the playground. That being said this isn’t really marketed as a collector’s item. It comes in the standard blister packaging, and no indication that it is a special model.

My conclusion is that Tonka is counting on parents that are “power shopping” their way to Christmas nirvana stumbling upon these childhood treasures and buying them up so that their children can have the same Christmas memories that they once had. I’d like to add that I don’t have a problem with this. I’m just going to go ahead and admit about 50% of the reason I plan to have kids in the future is to play with their toys. As a matter of fact I’m surprised that there aren’t more toy ads targeted towards adults because as it turns out, and I don’t think I’m breaking any news here, adults have money and kids don’t. So this Christmas when your out shopping for things that will someday make you curse in the dark, remember to pick up a few things that bring back your own childhood.

Ok, ok, Zac review the actual truck already: The truck is remarkably well detailed for being a replica of a replica. Unlike a Xerox machine that seems to create less detailed versions with compounded copies, this model features detail that seems to be heightened over the extra large original. It features the classic deep treaded plastic Tonka wheels, glossy yellow paint, and a mix of die cast and plastic construction. This model had a swiveling crane platform, and a moveable arm that actually stretches out and dumps. I was surprised to find out that this little truck actually has clear cab glass. Cab glass is a feature of quality I look for on the farm toys I like, so it’s a nice touch on this children’s toy. The best part of the model is the quality of the well detailed graphics. Overall I’d have to say this item is excellent in the children’s toy category for the detail, features, and low price. As a collectors item it probably has limited potential because of the partial plastic construction, and unknown production numbers.


No comments:

Number of people who have visited Zac's Tractors