Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Progress of a Custom - 7930 Primed and Ready



Here is the 7930 now partially assembled with a coat of primer. "Ready" as the title boasts may be a bit of an exaggeration since I still have to drill a few holes. As you can see both casting halves have been primered along with the roof and the stairs. It is not necessary to get a perfect coat of primer on the tractor. As a matter of fact the less you use the better because every coat takes away detail. I also have primered the wheels (not pictured) because the paint doesn't stick to the plastic on the wheels very well. I recommend Tamiya fine grey hobby primer. Regular automotive primer that you get at Wall Mart often reacts badly with the paint.

After I drill the holes in the fenders for the turn signals I will paint the cab posts gloss black on the cab of the tractor. You can also see on the cab I have removed the lights and filled in the holes. When the model is done I will be adding lights with better detail.

Note: This spring Ertl is releasing this casting with a sheet of decals for 4 different variations of the 7930. If you pick up one of those you can not only change the decals but use the decals after you paint it so that you still have a perfect set of decals. In the case the tractor you are customizing doesn't have the decal sheet(Like most) I will show you how to use paintbrush (which you all have if you are reading this to make your own).

3 comments:

Br'er Shaygetz said...

Have you considered stripping the paint off? I use original formula Pine-Sol and it works great.

zac said...

I havent tried it but it sounds easy enough so on my next custom ill give it a shot.

Br'er Shaygetz said...

Give it about 4 hours, when the paint wrinkles, it's ready. I find a pointed toothpick usually gets the tougher spots in the creases. Best of all, the smell is easy to handle. Blessings, BC

Number of people who have visited Zac's Tractors