Wednesday, July 2, 2008

New Model Release - John Deere 9630T


The John Deere 9630T is a farm toy you should buy. I have never said that on this page before (probably because I just thought of it), but honestly it has so many upgrades that it will improve anyone’s collection.

The 9630T is the first of the 9000T series released, and it also has several firsts to go with it. It is the first 9000T tractor with cab glass (that I’m aware of), it is the first 9000T Tractor with cab lights, and, and, wait for it, it is the first tracked 1/64th scale model Ertl has released with painted plastic wheels. Let me be the first to say “Thank you Ertl.” I have been clamoring for painted wheels for years and in fact I spend allot of my customizing time painting the wheels on my own models. It adds realism to the tractor because it makes them look metal, and is a more correct color. I’m sure it costs more to paint them, than to just leave them light yellow plastic, but you really end up with a better product.

Another nice detail on the tractor is the clear “John Deere” sticker on the rear window. Although you may miss it if you don’t look close enough, it adds a nice touch. This model also features turn signals, which have been absent on every other regular release 1/64th scale John Deere in the 9000 series (T and 4wd).

2 complaints:
1. “You spent the time painting the wheels, why not paint the cab top?” Seriously here folks, the cab top has lights and a gps beacon. It is far beyond the past generation of 9000T tractors in detail (See picture below), yet it lacks that luster of painted plastic like its 4WD brethren. It would definitely be worth the extra 3 cents to paint the cab top.
2. The tracks roll very poorly. This has been an ongoing war with Ertl. It seems that only about 1/3 tractors have decent rubber on them. Either they get that chalky residue on them or are hard as a rock. Then about every 3rd tractor you end up with a very pliable tire that has a deep black finish. These particular tracks have more of a glossy black finish, like the tractor might look on the dealership floor (with tons of silicone), but they do not roll easily at all. If I had to pick I would go to the previous generation tracks that roll easy (for the kids of course) but are a more dull shade of black.

Overall impression: Excellent tractor with great detail. The upgrades really make this an excellent model, one I will probably put in my top 10 models of 2008. For $7.99 you get allot of quality for your money.
Where can you get one?
The John Deere sticker in the rear window looks like etched glass

Painted Wheels (Be still my heart)


9630T (left) - 9520T (Right)

No comments:

Number of people who have visited Zac's Tractors